Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Several things I want to go over today, but first hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Fourth of July! As you can tell from the pictures below, we love the Fourth of July and I love to decorate for it!

Lots of Red, White, and Blue on my house...

Lots of Red, White, and Blue on my daughter...

And on Oscar...

Who wasn't to happy about it, but he sure looked cute!

Secondly, William and the kids went to town yesterday and while he was there I asked him to look around Wally-World and see if he could find me a new patriotic t-shirt to wear to the Rankin Volunteer Fire Department Street Dance. He called and said there wasn't much left but he did find me something. Below is a picture of the T-shirt. It seemed to be a nice shirt and I was going to try it on when a couple of somethings caught my eye...

Can you see what bugs me about this shirt? I know it's a little blurry but hopefully you can still make out what's on the label in the picture below. Considering what is on the front of the shirt I wasn't expecting to see on the label "MADE IN PAKISTAN" and it's not just in English but in Spanish.

Is this what it's come down to? Our own Patriotic clothing is being made in a country that is not entirely friendly to the United States. I mean, let's see if I remember correctly, isn't the Taliban still fighting some of our U.S. soldiers in that area? With the news media mostly focusing on the war in Afghanistan now and the withdrawal of American troups out of certain Iraqi cities, I don't remember everything involving Pakistan, but isn't their President not that cozy with the U.S.? Aren't our soldiers trying to fight the Taliban that are on the Afghanistan/Pakistan border and the terrorists/insurgents have been using the Pakistani border towns as bases?

Well, I don't know what you would do, but I'm not wearing my new shirt today. I'll just find a shirt from a couple years ago that proudly says "Made in America" and only in English. Sorry, but I don't believe that phrase should have to be in English and Spanish. If you are buying a Fourth of July t-shirt to wear, then I would assume that you have learned the predominant language of the new country of your new residence. I mean, if I went to Mexico and wanted to pick up say a Cinco de Mayo shirt, I wouldn't expect it to have care instructions on it in English.

Ok, enough of my little ranting today, just wanted to toot the "I'm American" horn for a moment on the day we set aside to celebrate the good ol' U.S. of A. and it's also the day that my family celebrates the day that Nathan came home from the hospital when he was a newborn. Yea! We'll celebrate with some cake and ice cream later today, then we'll go to the street dance, have some burgers and hot dogs, then we get to head over to the football stadium parking lot and shoot off our load of fireworks and firecrackers! Imagine the best fireworks show you've ever seen and extend it for several hours instead of just 15 minutes. It's AWESOME!

So, like I said earlier, everyone have fun, be safe, and enjoy your Fourth of July!

1 comment:

MaBunny said...

Nikki, Oscar does look cute, BUT please don't turn into one of those people who put always put clothes on their wieners. Sweaters at winter are ok, but I don't think the wieners like it much, hahahaha.
Sonya looks pretty sitting on your front porch, and yes I agree with the whole tshirt rant:)
Have a safe and happy fourth out there!

HGTV Dream Home 2010