Sunday, December 9, 2007

My First Blog!

Wow, this is going to be cool and probably very therapeutic too! My best friend, over on ablesantics.blogspot.com, got me hooked on blogs and now it's my turn to start one.
I think what I am really going to try to accomplish with this blog is to try and show my journey with ADD. I've known I've had ADD probably since my nephew was diagnosed with it about 10ish years ago. When he was diagnosed, my family and I all started researching ADD and learning more about it so we could learn how to help him, but in the end I ended up reading about myself in those pages that describe about the inwardly directed person with ADD.

You can't imagine my surprise when I finally read that I wasn't lazy, crazy, or dumb, to take a bit from a title of one of the ADD books. I think I actually cried with relief at finally knowing I wasn't weird. I also cried with some grief over all the years that I spent being told over and over, "you're so smart, why don't you apply yourself more?" or something like,"why can't you just be more organized?" etc.

I was in my mid-twenties when my nephew was diagnosed with ADHD. At that time, I read lots of books and finally found a book about ADD in Adults by Lynn Weiss and it gave lots of information about ADD and some tips about how to cope. It's helped until recently. Lots of things have happened in the last few years that seem to have really made me realize I need more help than what I can learn in books.

So, I've made an appointment with a psychiatrist who I hope will make a formal diagnosis of ADD in me and will hopefully lead me to some form of treatment that will work for me. Whether it be medication, therapy, etc. I'm ready to do whatever it takes to bring this racing mind of mine under control so I can live a much fuller life and accomplish what I want to accomplish. It isn't just me that's affected by this disorder but my whole family, co-workers and my poor new house that I just can't keep clean and organized.

I'm looking at this as a new chapter in my life that I can't wait to see how it plays out. Hopefully by writing this blog I'll be able to look back and see that I've made progress with my ADD and that things get better. But, right now, I have to get done with this first blog so my husband can finally put up my shelves that I've been asking him to put up for the last month.

Til next time!

No comments:

HGTV Dream Home 2010